Sunday, July 11, 2010

Marathon Women!!!

okay more like "half" marathon women! I did! I ran a half marathon. The weeks leading up to the race I was very nervous! Here is the back story: 2 weeks before the race, while I was in California, Joanie and I planned on running 10 miles in preparation. I finished the 10 miles with out stopping and at a great pace. needless to say I was so proud of myself!! well later that day and the days following my knee hurt so bad just walking, so I had to put running on hold. I only ran a total of 3 miles the following 2 weeks before the race, I had to let it rest. I was really scared that something would happen during the race, so I thought resting it was better than straining it even more Race Day: Joanie flew in the night before the race, my knee felt stiff but okay enough. The next morning is race day and we get there bright and early ( 6 am). I was doing good up until mile 3, then my knee starting getting a sharp pain, not good. I stopped a total of 3 times during the race just to stretch , oh and the bathroom. I was very disappointed but Joanie was a great coach and motivator. I finished the race in good/decent time, 2:20, especially for my first one and with stopping for knee pain. After the race , I went straight to the medic and grabbed some ice, I could hardly bend my knees. It was a weird feeling. I have always been athletic, runs in the family, and to not have control over my knee pain was a sign that....1. I'm getting older and 2.... strength training is key. Whats next? I definitely want to start training for another marathon as soon as my knee/ IT band feels strong again. Stupid IT band.....

No comments: